November 20, 2017, Parks HQ, 5 pm
Board Members: Dan Farrell, Mark Neal, Aimee Buccellato
* Approved previous minutes
* Appoved October Financial Statements
* Approved Event in East Bank Trail December 2 for St. Joseph Catholic Church
* Opened the floor to Citizen input - No comments
* Reports by Organizations
* Report from South Bend Cubs
6 Seasons now, 4th year as a Cub Affiliate
Ivy Berlin Project should be done by late summer and provide 120 Apartment Units and a Rooftop that will hold 300 - 350 more people for viewing the game
Goal is to have 400K in attendance
Fun Zone is moving in 3-4 Weeks since it blocked the view of the apartments. It will also have new electrical service and a picnic space.
They appreciate their partnership with 1st Source
Capital Improvements needed - HVAC that is 30 years old. Energy Savings Contract is coming up.
* Report from the Botanical Society - Greenhouses on Mishawaka Ave next to the Zoo
New Director - Emily Bradford
They now have a new Education Coordinator, April Hammel
"Friday Flowers" program is for age 5 and under - 34 attended the last one
175 memberships, there were 62 last year
Seeing more college and high school volunteers
* New Business
National Resources Management Plan Handout (Draft) by Matt Moyers 574-235-7499
EAC - ECOLOGICAL ADVOCACY COMMITTEE can have up to 10 members
They have had 6 meetings so far in 2017
There are 4 points in the Vision
3 Areas of Procedures and Guidelines
Parks are in charge of approximately 50 Properties including - ELBEL, BOWMAN CREEK, etc.
NOTE: If you are interested in being on this committee in 2018 APPLY NOW!!! Decisions will be made in December. You can apply online and call Matt Moyers for more details.
Clare Daniels is the new department attorney
Director of Recreation, Susan O'Connor, is retiring after 27 years
Cecil Eastman is no longer the Director of Finance. This position is open.
* Kid's Kingdom sustained 10% damage and re-opened 2 weeks later. There is still some painting to do in the Spring. $3K was raised and the Capital Donation Site remains open so the Parks don't have to use up their Maintenance funds.
* Parks Foundation and Morris Foundation will merge. Funds are restricted to Projects - example - Studebaker Fountain in Leeper Park
* 2nd "Best Week Ever" will start on May 28, 2018
* Every 5 years the Department needs to be recertified by the Commission for the Accreditation of Park and Recreation Agencies. This review will happen in 2018.
* Capital Improvements in the works include:
Charles Black Center
West Bank Trail
Kernan Park Trail
Being phased in: Polaski and Pinhook
* Aaron Perri passed out champagne glasses and sparkling cider to toast the passage of the $12.2M bond on 10/23/17.
As he toasted he commented, "I can hardly wait for all the ribbon cuttings!"
NOTE: Toast to $2.8M in interest. If this had been "pay as you go" instead of rapid deployment, taxpayers would have an additional $2.8M to spend on other items.
Next Park Board Meeting is on 12/18/17.
For more meetings and articles: #MichianaObserver
Citizens attending community events to inform other Citizens.