November 20, 2017, County-City Building 13th Floor
1. Roll call
2. Approved Minutes from the October 26, 2017 meeting
NOTE: Regular Meeting Scheduled on November 9th was cancelled.
Reason sited, "Nothing on the Agenda"
3. Approved Claims Submitted
4. Old Business - none
5. New Business
5A. Receipt of Bids for 1036 Lincoln Way East
5B. River West TIF Development Area
1. Temporary License Agreement granted for a Site Agreement to Great Lakes Capital
Note: Address was not noted on the Agenda
2. Development Agreement with Ziker's - 251 Sample Street
* Building has 70K sq ft available
* Goal is to become a business incubator with an education focus
* $100K in TIF money is being given for architectural studies
* Dave Ziker explained the progress for the buildings. There are multiple buildings and the first was built in the 1880's. Ziker's began when his Russian Immigrant anscestor came to the area as a taylor.
* Plans include -
Merriman Piano - They rehab pianos and have two of the area piano turners. They want to train more people vocationally to repair and tune pianos. They also plan to have a "Piano Adoption Service". www.merrimanspiano.com
Graphic Arts - Nathan Henry
Sew Love - Use 5K sq ft for teaching at-risk women at "The Crossings" how to do industrial sewing, which is in demand with the Elkhart RV industry
Fashion School - Possibly create a local fashion line of clothing
AV Studio - Jacob Titus - Podcast Studio for $50 / hour
Opera School and Practice Space - 14K sq ft on the second floor of the building
* The site has been cleared by IDEM - Indiana Department of Environmental Management to be safe from chemicals
3. LangLab - Currently houses Bowman Creek Education and Zen Cafe (which will be moving downtown next year)
* $76K was given for HVAC and the Board approved another $26K
* Since "The Branch" closed, they are hoping to pick up some of the Co-working clients
* Dan of Redevelopment incorrectly identified LangLab as the first Business Incubator.
INCORRECT: The first Business Incubator in South Bend was 300 N. Michigan and was done by the CDC Computer Corporation to spur technology in 1984. The first tenant in that incubator was American Computer Security.
4. Second Amendment for selling the VA Building to Cressy and Everett for $92,660. City picked up the costs for Phase I Environmental Costs and the Downspout Disconnection Fee.
NOTE: Unlike homeowners, businesses can pay a one-time fee and continue to dump all their water into the sewers in perpetuity. Reason given was to avert "Business Hardship".
5C. Other - Temporary use of the Gridiron was granted to Lake Fenton, MI Community Schools for a Marching Band event on 4/22/2018
6. Progress Reports
* Tax Abatement - Councilperson Gavin Ferlic reported - NONE
* Common Council - Councilperson Gavin Ferlic reported - NONE
* Other - NONE
For Further information on any of the above items, call 574-235-9371
For more meetings and articles: #MichianaObserver
Citizens attending community events to inform other Citizens.