Thursday, January 11, 2018
9:30 am, 13th Floor County-City Building
All Members present
Ben Dougherty, Dave Relos, Marcia Jones, Councilman Dr. Dave Varner, Coucilman Gavin Ferlic, Kintae Lark
1. Resolution 3419 - Approve Meeting Schedule for 2018
2. Resolution 3421 - Procedures for Property Related Services - Updated Employee Names and Responsibility Levels
3. Resolution 3422 - Authority for Administrative Acts - Pertains to Closing, Tax Appeals, Rezoning
NOTE: Michiana Observer Post on 11/28/2017 has Chart of new actions they can perform without Council consent, public hearing or public input.
4. Resolution 3423 - Procedures for Temporary Use Agreements
NOTE: They can grant variances without public input or dissent.
RIVER WEST TIF DEVELOPMENT AREA
1. Resolution 3420 - Consenting to the Assignment of the Real Estate Purchase Agreement to "333 Western Associates, LLC" from Cressy & Everett (VA Building)
2. Resolution 3424 - Consenting to the Assignment of the Real Estate Purchase Agreement to "Michigan Street Shops LLC" from Cressy Everett
DISCUSSION: Councilman Dr. David Varner asked if transferring these from Cressy & Everett would include the City requirements for meeting TIF/Abatement Rules that are in place.
Legal Council Ben Dougherty said they were part of the transfer.
NOTE: Moving these contracts from a larger developer with considerable assets to a smaller independent company will limit their liability since failure would be contained to this new corporation.
This could mean if the project fails, a bankruptcy would leave the City without recourse.
For the Development Corporations it will make it easier for them to parcel it off as a sale to another entitiy, file that business as a "small business" and operate under different tax rules.
STATISTICALLY it will showup as if the City suddenly has a "Small Business Growth Increase" downtown when in reality it is a large corporation parceling out each development deal. It will also help meet small business goals.
3. Second Amendment to the JMS Development, LLC: There was $87,000 left over on this TIF that could have been redirected or put back in the account. Instead Community Investment elected to spend it on upgrading the asphault, installing a fence and an electric gate for JMS parking lot.
All of the above items were voted FAVORABLE Unanimously.
A. Tax Abatements - There was a new parcel annexed into the City for a warehouse project out by the Airport.
B. Common Council - No update
C. Other - None
Next Meeting: Thursday, Jan 25th, 9:30 am, 13th Floor County-City Building
(Public can attend but no comments or questions are allowed at these meetings.)
6:45 pm, South Bend Police Department
Presenter Ptl. James Burns
NOTE: See attached pictures of slides for details
* Recap of statistics on the slides. Info on these slides is also available for the public on www. crimereports .com
* There are approximately 2,000 Block Captains and the SBPD would like 12,000 to be more effective
If you are interested please call: Ms. Pinkey at 574-235-9577
* Annual Fallen Officer Memorial will be held in the evening of May 18th at the SBPD
* Handouts for prevention were handed out
* Nuisance Abatement Vehicle "continues to be effective" and they are working on trying to get a second one
For more articles and meetings: #MichianaObserver
Citizens attending community events to inform other Citizens.