October 2, 2017, 2:00 pm, St. Paul's Center, Ironwood Drive
Host: AARP of Michiana, Serving Seniors for over 53 years
Investigator Timothy Taylor SBPD, Fraud Investigations - 574-235-7489
PFC James Burns SBPD, Abuse and Neighborhood Watch 574-235-9401
Neighborhood Watch is the 1st Thursday of the month, 6:45 pm at the SBPD
Attorney Jessica Brock, Indiana Legal Services, Inc. LAVA Program
Legal Assistance for Victimized Adults 844-243-8570
Case Manager Loretta Bowes, Family Justice Center, Senior Abuse Cases, 574-235-5420
Please call them if you or someone you know needs assistance in any of these areas.
Document Shredding Event this Saturday at Zikers, 1240 S. Byrkit, Mishwaka.
$10 suggested donation will help our furry friends at PetRefuge. Win-Win
From Investigator Tim Taylor:
* Don't put out mail at the end of your driveway, put it in a blue postal box or go to the post office
* Don't believe a call about your grandchild being in an accident scam
* Don't use home improvement people who come to your door
* Asphault sealing scam just puts oil on your driveway that washes off
* Contact Officer Taylor if you are a victim of Identity Theft and need assistance
* He has free Identity Theft brochures for your groups
From Officer James Burns:
* Don't believe IRS threat calls, you will receive mail notices
* Don't believe banking calls after someone dies. They won't update the person's info over the phone. You need to go to the bank directly and fill out paperwork.
* Don't put everything in your wallet. Only carry what you need and have a second "throw away wallet" to give them that just has some cash in it.
* Put your valuables in different pockets
* Snap your purse to the strap in the grocery cart so they can't easily grab it while you shop
* Let your bank know your travel areas
* Welcomes you to Neighborhood Watch
* Freeze your credit with Experian, Equifax and TransUnion (Keep password in a safe place)
* Don't hang your purse on the back of your chair
* When online setting up social media accounts, give a fake birthday
* Caller ID #'s are now being faked to have the same Area code and first 3 digits as yours
* Don't say "yes" when someone calls, it may sign you up for charges on your phone bill
From Attorney Jessica Brock:
* LAVA assists those over 60 years of age or disabled
* Areas of Elder Abuse or Financial Exploitation
* Financial Exploitation is often by Guardians or those with Power of Attorney
* 1 in 9 of Seniors are victims of abuse
* Services are free if qualified
* To represent, the person must be mentally clear and not have "limited capacity"
* Be sure your Power of Attorney has built in protections like an annual review with multiple people
* Guardians and Power of Attorney persons must keep 6 years of financial records on hand and be able to produce them within 60 days
* Free handouts from the Federal Trade Commission
From Loretta Bowes:
* Serves all of St. Joseph County for those over 50 years of age
* Funded by a grant - Services are free
* Can also pay for a cab to the office and back if needed
* Income level is not a requirement for assistance
* Areas covered include: Domestic violence, neglect, abuse, stalking and exploitation
AARP Michiana is a non-profit bringing educational events to seniors.
They meet on the 1st Monday of the month at St. Paul's, 3602 S. Ironwood Dr, South Bend, IN 46614
For more articles or meetings: #MichianaObserver
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
Citizens attending community events to inform other Citizens.