Dr. Kenneth Spells, Superintendent of South Bend Community School Corporation
September 8, 2017, Noon, League of Women Voters at the South Bend Chocolate Company
He has just completed his first year and his "Listening Tour". He is now embarking on his "Let's Talk Tour" meeting multiple times throughout the community. He wanted to listen first before starting to make changes. He said the community had a lot to say. He visited 34 buildings in 34 days.
He came with Dr. Todd Cummins, his Human Resources person who is from Ft. Wayne, and Ms. Susan Coney, the Director of Communications and Chief of Staff who has been with the schools for 20 years.
He has formed #TeamSouthBend to boost the school corporation and its reputation. He wants every teacher, employee and student to be an Ambassador for SBCSC by "Telling Good Things".
The school system currently has around 18,000 students and 70% are eligible for free or reduced cost lunches. He wants all of them to have computer devices and access.
* Parent University - Helping Parents with Resources
* Visual and Performing Arts Magnate at Clay HS
* Dual Language program at McKinley
* Medical Magnate at Washington HS
* Planning to do more National Advocacy
* Hiring a Development Director to bring in more grants and donations
* Substitute Teachers
* Bus Drivers - 22 Drivers out this afternoon + the 13 Drivers who quit so far this year = negative 38 Drivers
UPCOMING COMMUNITY DATES FOR "LET'S TALK":
9/21/17 at Jefferson 5:30 - 7:00 pm
9/28/17 at Darden 3:30 - 5:00 pm
10/4/17 at Administration Building 10:00 - 11:30 am
* "You can't teach me until you love me."
* Teach "how" and "why" to keep students interested
* "Grace" and "Mercy" are the twins who follow him everywhere.
* Schools have Day Care for Teen Mothers and Employees
* Goals program to help with focus
* Work on the problem of sex offenders close to the schools
* Laundry since some students won't come to school because of dirty clothing - successful in other areas
* Have drug and alcohol services in the schools, not outsourced
For more articles and meetings: #MichianaObserver
Citizens attending community events to inform other Citizens.